Friday, November 21, 2014

Pic(tures) in the park

There's something to be said about taking photos. I remember a time - oddly when Jack was a baby - when taking pictures was the last thing on my mind. I went several months at a time without bothering to take a snapshot, mainly because I was busy being a first-time mom.

Then, the summer before Z was born, my parents gave me a camera for my birthday. It was what is called a superzoom point and shoot. It had some advanced features (i.e. an amazing zoom and quality) but still had the ease of a point and shoot camera.

I loved it. I loved it and grew with it. I wasn't the best photographer, but in the end does that really matter? It was the proverbial training wheels for my photography.

A few years ago, I stepped up with my first DSLR. It wasn't my first choice. My beloved superzoom had a speck of dust stuck between two lenses. The only way to clean it was to send it back to Cannon for a costly $150 or roughly half of what I originally paid for it.

I knew it was time. My baby had to be retired for something else.

I'll admit that I wasn't great when it first came around:


I literally had zero idea what I was doing. Slowly I learned more about my camera and happily explored the reaches of manual control:




My kids were (and still are today) my always bribed subjects. They've learned to smile or redo the shot. They've learned the enjoy the moment because if this mom is happy, they will be happy too.

It should be no surprise that on the last day of their fall break (yes, it does exist), we went to a local park to walk around. I let them pick the spot, but they knew what to do. Here are just a few of the best shots from the trip, including the first Wes Anderson-esque version on a bridge:


Am I professional?

No.

But I am very proud of how far I've come?

You bet.

0 comments: