Monday, January 24, 2011

Verenika, Revisited

My sister and her husband are back in town this week from an overseas mission, so I decided to make verenika.

Did I mention that I wanted to make it over the weekend? Did I mention that I didn't make it over the weekend? So, in short, considering that...

...I have MOPS tomorrow
...and Life Group on Wednesday
...and we're seeing my sisster on Friday

Today is pretty much the only day I have to make the dough, filling and turn it into verenika.

Current status:



Summary: Zoey and I just made the basics to start. I'm letting the dough chill out in the fridge for a bit, but let's be real - it's cold enough in our house to let it chill without the help of the fridge.

Also, Zoey and I added more spices to the filling than I think my grandmother ever would have dared.

The original filling:

2 c dry cottage cheese
2 egg yolk
1/2 t pepper
1 t salt

After Zoey and I were done:

6 c dry cottage cheese
6 egg yolk
2-3 t pepper
2 t salt
2 t onion powder
1 t celery salt
1 t garlic

What can I say? The girl liked to add. Plus I like a little bit of a kick with the verenika, which I'm sure is forcing my grandmother to roll over in her grave right about now.

Question of the day: will I be able to make the 70+ verenika I need to make TODAY...by the time I need to head to bed?

Guess we'll find out soon!

******8:30******

Well, the kids are in bed (not really asleep yet though) and I am happy to report that I have:

14 done
7 that exploded
3 that didn't even make it to the pot

Overall: It's not going as fast as I had hoped, but bathtime. Room cleaning. Book reading. Song singing. Kid kissing...you know. Those kinda came first.

Print Page

0 comments: