Monday, November 1, 2010

Comfort Foods.

This weekend was busy - I never knew Halloween could drag on for four exhausting days! Today is the rebound day.

I have a headache.
Two hyped kids.
There's a cloudy sky.
It's chilly.
I'm actually kind of dizzy too.

You know what that means?

COMFORT FOOD DAY!!

Here are my top 10 cool/cold-weather comfort foods:

1) Corn bread -- I don't know what it is, but corn bread even by itself is just cozy. Put a little ground meat in it and you have a meal!

2) Chili (with Cinnamon rolls!) -- you can't go wrong with chili. You just can't. The cinammon rolls match it perfectly.

3) Pot roast -- I didn't grow up with it, so maybe that's the reason. Whatever the reason, a heart bowl of pot roast with gravy and veggies just warms me right up!

4) Grilled cheese and tomato soup -- I think this duo is my favorite go-to recipe. It's so easy to make and everyone at the table always love it.

5) Chicken and noodle soup -- I don't care if it's homemade, store-bought or straight out of a can. It's the mother of all comfort foods!

6) Meatloaf -- there are so many recipes out there, but really meatloaf should be simple. My dad used to make it, and when he did, he always made it on a cookie sheet shaped like a heart. Say it with me - awww!

7) Potato soup -- I love cream potato soup with a little bit of ham in it. Yum. That with a piece of Asaigo bread? Double yum.

8) Green bean soup -- They always have this at my favorite Mennonite restaurant in Newton, and I can make it pretty darn good myself! It's simple, easy to make and delicious with a sandwich or on its own.

9) Chicken & Dumplings -- I love Southern Plate's recipe of it, and my family loves it even more than I do! Sure I doctor it up a bit, but it's still delicious!

10) Cheesy Taco Soup -- There's no better way to enjoy dinner than with taco soup. Spicy or bland, I don't care. It's worth it!



Print Page

0 comments: