Sunday, August 1, 2010

The {Soy} Joys Of My Life


Main Entry: 1joy 
Pronunciation: \ˈjȯi\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French joie, from Latin gaudia, plural of gaudium, from gaudēreto rejoice; probably akin to Greek gēthein to rejoice
Date: 13th century
1 a : the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires : delight b : the expression or exhibition of such emotion : gaiety
2 : a state of happiness or felicity : bliss
3 : a source or cause of delight

(Source: Merriam-Webster dictionary)

You know, I can find joy in nearly everything I do and every part of my life.

Right now, ICE CREAM brings me a huge amount of joy:
I have no doubt that this ice cream-joy connection is related directly to the fact that "Ice Cream Paradise" was on TV this afternoon!! ;-)

Between Starbucks froo-froo drinks and ice cream I think I'm just about set!

Well, not really. 

You know what REALLY brings me joy? 

A. My husband

If you were to define what it means to be a great man, you would run smack into my husband. We're been together for seven years this October, and I wouldn't change any of it. 

The guy always impresses me. From watching "Project Runway" with me to cleaning the kitchen to letting me have some time off to just destress. Through all of my whining and venting, he never seems to complain about his home life. Yes, the kids may be difficult or his work may make him pull out his hair. Trav, however, just moves on without a second thought. 

I can't wait to celebrate our next anniversary...or our 50th. God has brought us together, and I can't wait to see where He takes us next! 

B. My Kids

My kids are the true definition of joy in my life. They are a part of every cell of my body, and through every scream, tantrum, hit and moment of pure insanity, I know that these kids are truly wonderful.


Every parent will say that their children bring them joy, and I'm no exception. I just can't tell you the pride I have as I see them grow into beautiful, polite individuals who truly love each other and Christ. 

I'll still never forget the time when Jack tucked me into bed when I was sick or when he tried to pay Jennifer, our daycare provider, with his own allowance. I'll also never forget the time when Zoey ran to get a band-aid and even made me put it on when I screamed in pain from the vasculitis. I really love these kids. 

The knock-knock jokes don't hurt this point either though! 

C. Walter 


Walter came to us in an odd circumstance - we weren't really looking for a cat. Honestly, I don't think we had even considered a pet though we knew that a cat would be our first pet of choice. When my father-in-law approached us with the possibilities of adopting a cat, we were sure we would meet him, realize he wasn't for us and go about our merry way.

It didn't happen like that, of course. 

We met and everything clicked. Heck, on his first day at our house, he was up and cuddling up to us the moment we arrived home from work! That first night he even slept at the foot of our bed. He is a tremendous cat, and he adds such a joy to our house! 

D. Family 


This year has really opened my eyes to a harsh reality of life. Being laid-off, watching Trav's grandfather pass away, dealing with the hardships of homeowner ship and surviving interview after interview was probably the hardest experiences I've dealt with in my adult life. Alone they would difficult enough. Combine them, and it feels like an overwhelming surge of despair.


Our families really are the core of our marriage. When we were getting serious, we sat down and discussed many aspects of our lives - money, family, future, etc. We both have a strong tie to our family!

I can honestly say that without our families, we wouldn't be in this house right now. We wouldn't be laughing. We wouldn't be in the place we are today if it weren't for these tremendous men and women. You each bring a slice of joy into our life! 

E) Memories 



I am lucky to have known some very amazing people in my life, and the memories of those who have gone before us really do bring me great joy. Take the photo above - that was taken 3 days before Papa Curtis passed away. Jack kissed him on his own, whispering "I'll miss you Papa Curtis!" as he did. 

Thank you for the memories - Papa Curtis, Grandma Margaret, Stephanie McCart, David Ward, Grandma Jean, Grandma Classen, Grandma Regier, Grandpa Regier, Grandpa Claassen, Papa George...

###

So now I ask you...what brings YOU joy in life?

This post is part of SOYJOY‘s What brings you joy contest. Learn more here.


Print Page

4 comments:

The Mommy Mambo said...

Loved your post! Very creative and sweet! You seem to be filled with joy!
Good Luck to you in the contest!

debi9kids said...

What a beautiful post and what a rich life you are leading, even in the moments when life maybe doesn't feel so rich.

Life with Kaishon said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. What a beautiful family. I flipping LOVE your husband for watching project runway with you! How sweet is that?

Your kids are the cutest things!
Your family is lovely.

And your Grandpa? So precious.

Scary Mommy said...

I love your joy!! Your family is beautiful, and that ice cream cone has me drooling. :)