Friday, August 27, 2010

Fill-In-The-Blank

Okay, I have a job for you. I want you to fill in the blank:

Once I was so tired that I _________________

A few years ago, I thought I had the jack-pot of exhaustion stories. You know, the sort of exhaustion you can really only experience as a parent. Or, I should say, as a parent of kids under the age of 5. I have no experience with kids older than that at this point in my life, so who knows? Maybe it gets better?

Anyway, a few years ago I was putting on my shoes in the spring/summer to go to work. I prefer to leave the shoes off until the very last minute, and honestly I was leaving a bit late. It was still pretty dark outside, and I know that turning on the hall light, which is needed to find shoes, tends to wake up Jack.

I didn't give it a second thought as I threw my shoes on and headed out the door.

In hindsight, I SHOULD have given it a second thought.

Being the first one at work in my part of the building, I was obligated to unlock and then relock the front door. Same old, same old. As I walked to the front door, I fumbled with my keys and managed to get them into the lock. As I did this, I looked down and realized that my shoes were mismatched.

One was a blue sandal.
The other? A brown leather version.

Two very different cuts.
Two very different colors.
Two very different sandal heights.

Anyway, today I beat that. I wasn't even that tired...or so I thought.

Sure - the cat now thinks that when my alarm first goes off that I need to wake up and pet him.

Sure - a skunk sprayed outside our window at 1:00 waking me up and forcing an immediate closure of all the opened windows in the house.

Sure - the kids have been incredibly deaf the last few days, which makes for one heck of a complicated evening.

But that doesn't excuse what happened this morning.

I was getting dressed, as usual. I REALLY needed a coffee stop this morning, so I needed to leave the house about 10-15 minutes early to ensure that I could get my coffee and get to work on time.

I actually grabbed my clothes, put them on as I was walking down the hallway and then grabbed my lunch. I was off. Just like every work day, I hopped into my car and went on my merry way.

Now, it takes me about 10-15 minutes to get to work, depending on traffic. I go by three entrance ramps. By the second entrance ramp, I had a sudden moment of panic:

Had I forgotten to put on a shirt this morning?

Yes, you heard me correctly. I was seriously concerned that I had walked out the door in just my underwear.

It's like that famed nightmare of going to class or work naked, only I was fully awake. I wasn't dreaming at all. I was conscious and aware of what was around me, but I was have a moment of pure terror.

Even though I glanced down several times to confirm that yes, I was in fact wearing a shirt, I still questioned myself for the next several minutes.

I'm pretty impressed with it, actually. It's not every day you enter into this realm of exhaustion and/or stress.

How about you - do you have an exhaustion story to share?  


Print Page

0 comments: