Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Easter Menu

I'm really excited about this Sunday. Not only are we giving our old church one last try (long story), but we're adding in supplemental side dishes to my mother-in-law's ham. If it's one thing I love to do, it's cook. Last weekend I think I spent a total of about 6 hours in the kitchen? I'm not joking either!

First on the menu....rolls.

The recipe is very simple and requires no kneading at all. Plus it's the same dough used for cinammon rolls (I know! Go figure!) so I can whip some cinammon rolls up too if I really wanted to!

Next up...Cheesy Hashbrowns

Using my mom's recipe plus a few of my own additions, this is my favorite tasty but non-diet food. By non-diet I mean that you will need to go on a diet if you aren't careful!

And for dessert we have...Lemon Meringue

I'll admit that I'm not making Lemon Meringue because I like it. In fact I really dislike fruit or citrus pies and cakes. I know, I'm weird. However, that doesn't mean I won't bake them for those who DO like them! The last Lemon Meringue pie I made ended up in a 2 hour disaster, leaving me with a very sore arm and a pie that was...well...dainty and fairly bland. For the effort I put into it, I was very discouraged. I need to redeem myself. I've made lemon meringue before in less than an hour, and I can do it agai!

Oh. That reminds me that I need to buy corn starch.

And finally...chocolate pie

I love this chocolate pie. I found it on the web one day as I was searching for a way to use a left over pie crust. Hormones led me to search for a chocolate pie and the web led me to this pie. Most chocolate pies have whipped cream on top, and although it's fine...I wasn't in the mood for whipped cream. I also didn't have any handy. Regardless, when I found this pie I was REALLY excited.

For one, it's chocolate.
For two it's not really a meringue but it still sort of is.
Next, it's chocolate (did I already mention that?).
And finally, it is really easy to make.

It only took 20 minutes from start to finish. Once I took a bite, I knew this was a great pie.

I'm really so excited to start cooking, but I know that they will be consumed here if we're not careful.

Side note: I need a job. Getting this excited over cooking four fairly mundane dishes should be a red flag here.

0 comments: