Monday, July 20, 2009

Summertime Blues

Ask me about my summer.

I dare you. Actually, I triple dog dear you.

This summer is why I haven't had the time (or energy) to put up pictures on the blog. Sorry.

First the good:

We've spend more time together has a family than we did last year. The house is in a constant state of clean and the kids are actually getting along like siblings. Speaking of the kiddos, Jack really is just becoming one heck of a sweet boy and Zoey has become one heck of a caring girl. If she sees a baby crying (anywhere - parking lot, restaurant, etc) she wants to go over there and make sure that everyone is okay. Plus my sister and her boyfriend/fiance tied the knot, which was an exciting moment for us all.

Plus our pool looks terrific NOW. We were able to spend a few hours in it on Sunday and wow. It felt good! Speaking of Sunday, the last 3-4 days have been anti-summer weather. We were in the 50s at night and only in the 70s during the day. With clear blue skies. Perfect.

Now, the not-so-good:

Note: I'm not whining. There's no point at this stage. I've already had my pity party.

Basically, the summer started with the pool opening. This was when we found out that our pump had decided to die on us. Fun. That meant we had to get and install a new pump.

Buying a new pump? Easy
Installing a new pump? Not so easy. As Trav and his dad discovered, it required an electrician.

After 4 weeks and tons of help from Papa Don, the pump was installed.

And then the filter broke. The sand filter we thought we had (as told to us by an Esther Williams employee) turned out not to be a sand filter. Double great. We did find a great pool service guy, who has helped us turn our pool into a masterpiece.

A few weeks later, Trav had spent a few nights in the basement cleaning mold. I went down there and there was a bit of water around the basement. Interesting as it was, we thought it was sewage but it turned out to be starched bits that had been lodged in the pipes for years. The great strinky truth was revealed.

Better than sewage though.

Now comes the fun part - Trav got sick. I mean sick. Chills. Aches. Pains. A trip to the doctor yielded the excellent illness of mono. Did you know that a 33 year old could get mono? Now you do.

His was so severe that we couldn't even tough him. He couldn't even carry a glass across the room and struggled when getting the kids out of their carseats.

We had two weeks of that stuff. Even now we are waiting to see if the muscle pains come back, which would indicate something more serious that I won't mention on here.

....

So basically, there's my excuse. I'm tired. I'm frustrated. I'm grateful. All at once.

On the picture front, I have tons of pictures, including:

- July b-days
- Fourth of July
- Playing in the pool
- Deana Rose trip
- Bath time fun
- Playing with the neighbors

Stay tuned for those photos. I promise they will be good.

/Pity Party