Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Excuses, Excuses

Usually I'm not one for excuses - for most things. If I'm busy, I'll just say I'm busy. I'm not going to give you some half-haired lie about why I can't get photos up.

My computer is acting just fine (though it wasn't a few weeks ago).
No one is seriously ill.
No major issues.
Nada.

So why am I not posting pictures right now?

Believe it or not, I have tons of pictures to put up.

TONS!

Sadly, I'm too distracted by FOOD.

And no, I don't mean eating food. It's not that I'm standing over a sink shoveling some sort of dish into my mouth. Not quite.

Instead, editing and posting pictures have taken a second to...cooking.

If you know me, you know I love to cook. Meats - pastas - desserts. You name it! I love to cook it. I'm pretty picky with what I eat, but I will always eat up!

First up - homemade mayo.

Why?

Story: Back when Trav and I were first dating, I decided I needed to make quiche. We were out of mayo, so I whisked away to the nearest cookbook and found what I thought was an easy recipe. It wasn't. I ended up with an oily, eggy soup and no quiche.

Turn back to a few days ago - I had just gone to the store and swore that I had mayo in the fridge. I looked and it's not enough for the recipe. At this point, I had two options: Make it myself or Take the kids with me BACK to the store.

I don't know about you, but I wasn't in the mood to load the kids up in the car, drive to the store, unload the kids, fight with Zoey about sitting in the cart, end up carrying Zoey all over the store, try to keep Jack from touching all of the glass products they put so beautifully at his level, find the mayo, find the cheapest mayo, wait in the check out line, wait for our turn, try to entertain the kids while the teenage cashier has trouble scanning, take the kids back out to the car, load them back in, drive home, unload everyone and THEN make quiche.

Run on sentence? Yes.
Fun trip? No.

I found a a tear free recipe. While it recommend an electric beater, I decided to use just a plain, ol' whisk. And, I'm happy to say, that it worked. I have made some of the best mayo I've ever tasted.

I had to whisk for 45 minutes, but it turned out swell.

The irony? It took too much time and made me realize that it really was pretty late at night. Instead of making the quiche, I just stopped there. Someday I'll use that mayo in that quiche. SOMEDAY!

Second dish: Apple Tart



Why?

Story: I hate fruit in pies and pastry. I hate it. Cherry pie? No thanks. Apple turnover? Yuck.

I just can't stand them.

However, while checking out the Pioneer Women website, I discovered this recipe. And fell in love.

If I drool over something with baked fruit in it, it's a huge deal.

So, last night I decided to give it a whirl. It's easy enough - pastry crust, apples, brown sugar, lemon juice.

That's it.

My only problem was that Zoey decided she needed to be held. Cutting apples into thin slices and holding a grabby toddler isn't really in the parenting books. If it is, I would be shocked.

Needless to say, it took awhile to get it done. Plus I used waxed paper because the pan was a little dirty and I was too busy to just wash it. Badsies on me. I couldn't one of the things off!

Very sad.

However, I added a little caramel and it was perfect. I actually loved it!

I am so proud of myself!

Next up: Lemon Bars! Chocolate covered stuff (I tried to make cheesecake balls and failed miserably. I have tons of almond bark to use so why not?)! Pork shoulder! Chicken Enchiladas! Homemade pasta! Hash brown casserole! OH THE POSSIBILITIES!!

I think that because I mastered mayo making that I have convinced myself that I can make anything.

So the moral of the story is that if you are expecting pictures of the kiddos, I suggest waiting a few days.

1 comments:

Melissa May said...

You make me laugh! : ) If I wanted to make something that required mayo and I didn't have it, it never (NEVER!) would have entered my mind to attempt to make my own! I think I would have just decided it couldn't make whatever it was. So kudos to you!!!

And, btw, did you ever try to make lemon bars? Because I have the best recipe ever on my blog... really! And it's easy, too... esp. if you have a food processor.

Love all the pics! : )